We have been away awhile. During this time we have created delicious new recipes, as well as strategies to successfully stay healthy while you enjoy friend and family gatherings. Summer is here so break out the BBQ. Did you know that you can grill your entire meal on your BBQ? Lean beef, pork, seafood, and chicken. Many vegetables are delicious on the grill for example asparagus, summer variety squash, the mini red, yellow and orange peppers even cabbage! you can finish with grilled peaches, pineapple or melon.Choose light marinades for your protein, champagne vinegar with fresh herbs, juice of fresh lemon or lime and a few drops of sesame oil work well. Include garlic for added zing.
Fat-free Italian dressing with additional herbs, again the juice from fresh lemon or lime and garlic which works well for vegetables. Don’t be afraid to experiment with your own versions. We would love to know your favorites.
A sprinkle of cinnamon is yummy on your peaches. Bon’ Apetite
In a recent post here on the Solutions blog titled Drinking Your Water Affects More Than Just Your Weight Loss you learned some of the important reasons why you need to make sure to get your water in every day. In this post we are offering you some tips on how to make sure you get those 8 glasses of water daily in.
- Prepare and keep flavored water in the fridge ready to enjoy. A pitcher of water with a sliced lemon can be very refreshing on a hot summer day.
- Sparkling water mixed with zero calorie flavored waters can be a great replacement for high calorie sodas.
- When you get a craving for junk food drink and entire 8 ounce glass of water immediately instead.
- Each time you take a trip to the restroom drink at least 4 ounces of water afterwards.
- Carry a refillable water bottle everywhere while running errands and sip on it as you go.
- Get a special glass that is pretty and fun to look at to make drinking your water an event.
- Tell yourself for every hour of any activity (reading, watching tv, being on the computer, etc.) you will drink one full glass of water and then don’t allow yourself to begin until you’ve finished the water.
- Begin your day by drinking an entire 8 ounce glass of water right away.
- Get creative, add cucumber or herbs to your water!
By incorporating just a few of these ideas into your daily routine you will be setting yourself up for reaching your goal of drinking eight 8 ounce glasses of water each day!
Everyone knows that water is what sustains life but too often we tell ourselves we’ll be ok with less than we know we need. Consistent water intake each day will provide the best outcome with your program here at Solutions.
But did you also know that not getting enough water can also have a negative effect on your health?
Here are just a few of the ways being mildly dehydrated can affect you:
- Dry mouth
- Bad breath
- Lack of energy
- Trouble losing weight
- Sleepiness or irritability
- Cramping in your legs or arms
- General feeling of being unwell
That is just for mild dehydration.
Some of the ways that more severe dehydration can affect you are:
- Bloated stomach
- Low blood pressure
- Rapid but weak pulse
- Severe cramping and muscle contractions in limbs, back and stomach
You can see drinking enough water every day is so vital. It is a big part of why we encourage our clients at Solutions to embrace these benefits.
We encourage you to take the challenge and enjoy the positive outcome this will bring you.